The Saratoga Springs Conservation Foundation has nearly $150,000 to restore 65 Phila St. this week after a $50,000 donation from the Carruth Foundation of Texas. This is equivalent to about half of the estimated capital required for the renovation.
The Conservation Foundation bought the dilapidated home for $235,000 in May after a long battle with the previous owner to save the historic property. Built in 1851, this Italianate home has been vacant since 2002. It was in terrible shape, but the city’s design review board rejected a previous owner’s request for demolition and strengthened conservation foundations to save it.