More auto insurance refunds possible, Pistons great Bob Lanier dies, a pre-Labor Day start to school

0
58

Michigan car insurance companies have reached the deadline to issue a $ 400 refund check this week. But that may not be the end of the money a driver can receive.

Her team will continue to audit the funds held by the Michigan Catastrophic Billing Association during the summer, according to Anita Fox, director of the agency that oversaw the diversification of $ 3 billion refunds. If the holding amount exceeds the amount required to cover the expected costs, the Insurance and Financial Services Department may order another refund.

“It’s not impossible to save additional money, but this was an extraordinary amount of money saved as a direct result of the reforms,” ​​Fox said.

The latest refunds issued to drivers were due to the multi-billion dollar surplus of MCCA reported in 2021. The additional refund amount that DIFS can order may not be as large as the $ 400 returned to the driver this spring.

During the deadline, Fox said her agency’s work wasn’t finished and she would follow up with the driver and insurance company to ensure that all available refunds reach each driver.

This is the latest step she described as an “extraordinary” effort by the department overseeing the massive transfer of funds to millions of drivers. The state has made refunds in the past, but hasn’t reached this year’s levels, Fox said.

“Receiving individual checks and funds transfers to millions of drivers was a big lift,” she said. “We needed strict control, so the right amount was refunded.”

This includes implementing more cost control in the insurer’s plans, adjusting how many drivers each car insurer has to pay, and giving the company enough time to issue a refund. Includes setting a timely deadline for receiving money to residents.

The department also needed to navigate the best way to prevent drivers from being scammed.

“Every time the money changes, some people will try to use it,” Fox said. “From the beginning, the directorate-general of lawyers said that we were receiving a nuisance call, so we told consumers,” Don’t give out your personal information over the phone or at the front door. “

If you have left a question about a refund or have not received a check yet but are eligible, you should first contact your insurance company. If the problem persists, it is recommended that the driver call the 833 ASK DIFS (833-275-3437) MF DIFS hotline from 8 am to 5 pm.

Michigan is the only state that offers unlimited benefits to the devastating injuries of a crash. Prior to the 2019 reforms negotiated between Governor Gretchen Whitmer and the Republican-led parliament, Michigan drivers had to choose an insurance plan that offered unlimited accident insurance.

Reforms that raised that requirement led to lower premiums. It also led to MCCA’s $ 5 billion surplus.

Fox said the MCCA fund, which cares for those who were devastated by the crash, ended up in a higher surplus with these reforms. As a result, they overestimated the amount needed to cover potential long-term care claims. The trust totals about $ 24 billion.

As a result, in November last year, the group was told to reimburse as much surplus as possible, with enough money to cover the claim and a little extra cushion in case of emergency. ..

When DIFS audits a group, it checks to see if MCCA exceeds 120% of the expected liability from the claim.

Detroit Public Schools Plan to Start Classes Before Labor Day

The next first day of class at Detroit Public School may come Before worker’s day.. At a district school board meeting on Monday night, members approved the provisional plan for the 2022-23 academic year. This includes enrollment in pre-Labor Day school. Instead, the children will start classes on Monday, August 29th.

Worker’s Day has long been the last holiday of summer vacation and the informal beginning of the Michigan school year. However, in recent years, school districts are increasingly promoting the start of classes at the beginning of the year.

One of the issues that may affect school education earlier this year is the lack of air conditioning in some district buildings. DPSCD is looking forward to hundreds of millions of dollars in dozens of building upgrades, but many buildings still don’t have the basic A / C that makes it uncomfortable to attend summer classes.

The district is expected to receive $ 700 million in one-off funding that will be rolled out over the next few years. This includes district-wide refurbishment, including the installation of HVAC systems, roofing and masonry improvements. Board approval for the district’s 2022-23 academic program is tentative and must be fully approved.

Former Pistons Center Bob Lanier dies at age 73

As one of the NBA’s top players in the 1970s, left-handed tycoon Bob Lanier, who became muscular next to players like Kareem Abdul Jabber, Died on Tuesday.. He was 73 years old. The NBA said Lanier died of a short illness. The Hall of Famer worked as a global ambassador in the league. Athletic reported in 2019 that Lanier was being treated for bladder cancer.

Lanier played for Detroit Pistons and Milwaukee Bucks for 14 seasons, averaging 20.1 points and 10.1 rebounds in his career. He is third on the Pistons career list, both in points and rebounds. Detroit drafted Lanier in 1st place overall in 1970 after leading the St. Bona Venture to the Final Four.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver added that Lanier is one of the most talented centers in league history and his achievements go far beyond what he did in court. Lanier was the NBA’s Global Ambassador.

Lanier was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1992. However, his boat-sized shoes arrived in front of him, exhibiting bronze sneakers at the shrine.

— Associated Press courtesy

Oxford School District rejects Nessel’s offer to investigate shooting

The school board has rejected Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel’s offer to investigate the shootings at Oxford High School. Nessel first offered to investigate the shootings in December and April. She promised that it wouldn’t cost the district money or interfere with the criminal procedure.

Instead, the district said it would use a “more comprehensive third-party review.” Four students were killed in the district’s three-year plan and the shooting on November 30, 2021. Three companies are considering conducting a review.

“I want to know what happened here. I want to know what happened in this house. I don’t even want to be held accountable. I want to know because this will affect my son and others forever. And I want it. Don’t let it happen again. ” According to the district, an ongoing criminal case resulting from the shooting delayed the disclosure of information that could be useful for the review.

For this reason, the school board said no third-party review would take place until the trial of suspected shooter Ethan Cranby and his parents, James and Jennifer Cranby. Parents shared their thoughts on a decision not to have Nessel investigate at the board meeting on Tuesday, but the students pushed back to the district because they did not have a memorial to the victims. The board also left room for future Nessel research proposals. However, her office said the offer had a deadline of May 20th.

Opponents allege that James Craig submitted a forged signature for a ballot petition.

Opponents of James Craig, running for Governor of Michigan as a Republican, claim him. Forged signature submitted Get on the ballot. The former Detroit Police Department said he had collected more than 15,000 signatures needed to qualify, but others submitted a 200-page document claiming fraud, including 7,000 of those signatures.

Scott Brewer, a former chairman of the Michigan Democratic Party who considered signing, said the only way dead voters could participate in the petition was by counterfeiting. He compared the signature with the 2020 signature.

“They don’t match at all,” he said. “It’s huge. It’s widespread. It affects at least 7,000 signatures, but if not more, it’s more than enough to get him off the ballot.” Craig’s campaign “I’m confident that this process shows that it meets the ballot requirements, which both Democratic and Republican opponents fear he’s already leading the race. It was a malicious and collaborative attack on Prime Minister Craig. We have a lot of trouble. ”

“Well, if there was fraud or forgery, Craig was a victim.” No, he is not a victim. It is his job to oversee the people who work for him, and at best this shows his lack of oversight and negligence, “Brewer said. “If he knows this, he is completely responsible.”

What else are you looking at

  1. Royal Oak participates in the “No Momei” movement and encourages homeowners put off About cutting their lawn for the rest of the month. This practice aims to promote pollen maters’ habitats while reducing greenhouse and noise pollution.
  2. All three County Executives in the Tri-County Area will speak at the Chamber of Commerce discussion in Las Lap Village on Wednesday. Warren Evans, Dave Coulter and Mark Hackel will be attending from 8:30 am.
  3. Metro Parks staff will open-burn at Rouge Park Prairie on Wednesday. This practice aims to restore the wild habitat of an area. Burns are carried out through a partnership with the City of Detroit Parks and Recreation.
  4. Ever wanted to find a particular mural in Detroit? Or what about murals? Presented by Detroit’s Director of Arts and Culture, the new app identifies the art of every wall in the city. Director Rochelle Riley will publish the app on Wednesday at 2:30.
  5. The shortage of infant formula in the United States is causing havoc, among the most prominent examples of supply chain disruptions that can bring to the product line. The combination of supply shortages and large recalls is impacting availability.

Live on FOX2

Daily weather forecast

The sunny week follows Wednesday, with the highest temperatures of the late 80’s, lots of sun and morning clouds. Expect more of the same to end the week.

The End of the iPod: What Apple Should Know When Abolishing the Symbolic Line of Music Players

Apple Inc. officials announced on May 10 that the company will discontinue the last product in the iPod line and end the entire product line decades after it hits the market.

“Music has always been part of Apple’s core, delivering music to hundreds of millions of users, just like the iPod, and redefining the music industry as well as the way music is discovered, listened to, and shared. Greg Joswiak, Apple’s Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing, said in a statement released on May 10.

Learn more about the humble beginnings of the iPod and its final abolition..

..

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here